Ray Van Dolson <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 26 Feb 2010 15:01:23 -0800
Well, I haven't seen too much traffic on the list, so I may ultimately
end up throwing this to support -- but hopefully someone out there will
have a great answer. :)

    - List [log in to unmask]

    1. End user sends message to [log in to unmask]
    2. Message is distributed to "editors"
    3. Editors modify message, resend to [log in to unmask]
    4. Message is distributed to "editors"
    5. Editors find something they missed, and further modify message,
       resend to [log in to unmask]
    6. Message looks fine so editors release message as-is for
       distribution.

The problem I'm foreseeing here is that, by definition, an "Editor" is
allowed to post to the list without approval.  So, after the first
modification and resend in step #3, the message would get
redistributed.

I'd like the message to be able to undergo as many approval/edit cycles
as necessary before it's released.

One way I can think of to do this is to have Editor= be assigned to an
alias -- [log in to unmask]  This expands to the real editors, and
when they forward back to the list they are doing so using their real
email addresses.  As such, the messages won't be released and will
continue in the "Editor" cycle.

When the final message is ready, they change their "From" address to be
[log in to unmask][1], and the message is distributed.

I'm trying to do everything as dynamically as possible -- our
distribution list is pulled from DBMS, and I'd like the list of
"Editors" for a list to be defined in Active Directory (and pulled in
via an LDAP dynamic query).  This probably wouldn't play nice with my
implementation above though as Editors would have their messages
approved immediately...

Can anyone see a better way to implement this sort of workflow?

Thanks!
Ray

[1] We might want to turn post verification on in this case.