Nathan Brindle <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 21 Aug 2000 10:06:18 EDT
>Can anybody point me in the right direction for why the 8.3 naming bit
>should be disabled.

For high-volume servers you almost have to disable it, or you end up
bogging down the server whenever you get more than a couple hundred files
in the spool.  It has to do with how the 8.3<->long name correlation
table is maintained.  I think there's an MS knowledgebase article about
this but I have no idea what the number is.

I would suggest that any virus-scanning software in this day and age
that still uses 16-bit apps to accomplish its purpose probably isn't
worth installing on a 32-bit machine, but that's just my $0.02.

Nathan