Oxford Eric Thomas <ET@UKACRL>
Fri, 24 Jul 1987 10:11 BST
  Rejection notices should contain  the text of the rejected mail.  If I get a
piece of  mail saying  "Your mail  could not be  delivered because  (...)" and
nothing else, I'm not really informed about  what has happened. I want to know
WHICH piece of mail was not delivered.

  If you include a copy of the  original mail in the rejection notice LISTSERV
will recognize it as such, and that's all.

  Now a question: let's assume that I change the Sender: field to point to the
moderator. You'll  get an ERIC MAIL  in your reader whenever  someone mails to
LSTSRV-L. If I  had set it to  Reply-To= Sender, you would not  even know that
this came from LSTSRV-L.  MAILBOOK would think it came from  me, and would log
it in the notebook associated with [log in to unmask]  You will have no way to know
what comes from *me*  and what comes from a list of which  I am the moderator,
unless you looked at it closely. This means you couldn't read "important" mail
in the morning when  you arrive at work, and keep  distribution lists mail for
later on. I doubt more than 10% of  people would want that. And those who want
are those  who work with a  poor mail user  agent which doesn't allow  them to
make any useful use of the contents of the Sender: field.

  Now if the next  day I move you to another server, you're  going to get some
MEYER MAIL  or EARNMAIN  MAIL instead of  ERIC MAIL. Still  for the  very same
distribution list.

  Eric