Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
Sat, 4 Jul 1987 13:28 SET
  I am  surprised by this NETSERV  password confirmation feature. It  is a big
problem for those of us who have defined a NETSERV password for their LISTSERV
to cache files on their local system. First, it is not very easy to change the
server's  password  as it  appears  in  all the  prologtexts  of  all the  AFD
commands, and you probably don't want  to re-issue all the AFD commands you've
done. But fortunately,  NETSERV lets you change your password  to ABCDEFGH and
then  back to  whatever it  was, so  it's not  that much  of a  problem unless
Berthold changes NETSERV to keep a history of recently used passwords. Second,
the notification mail sent to LISTSERV  will either get executed as a command,
which will probably start  a message war and end up  in each server suspending
access to  the other  one (not really  something we need...).  Or it  might be
identified  as  a NETSERV  error  message  and  forwarded to  the  appropriate
coordinators.

  In any  case I would  find it very  convenient if there  was a way  to waive
password  confirmation for  server  machines,  for example  with  a 'PW  WAIVE
password userid nodeid ON | OFF' command.

  Any comment?

Eric