Ross Patterson <A024012@RUTVM1>
Mon, 27 Jul 87 17:34:53 EDT
>I would like to be able to authorize certain userids to have full
>postmaster powers, but NOT to receive all the junk mail the postmaster
>gets.  I am directing all the junk mail to LISTMNGR where I will also
>authorize same persons to log on to get it.  I also want to authorize
>our operator without deluging them with strange confusing mail, too.

Phil,

   Just include them in the POSTMASTER variable as "Quiet:" postmasters
in LOCAL SYSVARS. I use this:

------------------ Start of included file LOCAL    SYSVARS     -----------------
*
* POSTMASTER is  a list of  userid@nodes, of which  the first one  is the
* "main" postmaster (to receive transferred files). "cc:" can be included
* in  the list  to indicate  that the  following userid@nodes  are "weak"
* postmasters, which must be cc:-ed on every note sent to the postmasters
* but will not have the ability to  issue CP or CMS commands to LISTSERV.
* They do have full owner-authority over  all the lists and can issue the
* "SHUTDOWN"/"STOP" command, though. A "hide:" keyword can be inserted in
* the  list to  cause  all following  names  not to  appear  on the  HELP
* display. The "quiet:"  keyword indicates that the  userids following it
* should not receive any interactive message.
*
*    Example: 'ERIC@FRECP11 cc: CHRIS@FRECP11 hide: OPERATOR@FRECP11'
*
postmaster = 'A024012@RUTVM1 hide: cc: quiet: OPERATOR@RUTVM1 SYSOPR@RUTVM1'
------------------ End   of included file LOCAL    SYSVARS     -----------------
As Eric says, Hide: keeps OPERATOR and SYSOPR out of the "RELEASE" output, CC:
gives them limited authority, and Quiet: keeps LISTSERV from talking to
them.