Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 20 Jan 2001 11:02:40 -0500
On Fri, 19 Jan 2001, Anne Harwell Toal <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

>I've had to take Attachments= No out of three list headers this week.

Based on the context of this statement, it appears that you, as the site
administrator, are making list configuration changes which could be made
by the list owners. I know that, in the short term, it seems quicker and
easier to make the changes yourself, rather than take the time to teach
the list owners how to make their own changes, but that will change, as
the number of lists increases by a factor of five or ten, and other
responsibilities make increasing demands on your time. Sometimes trite
cliches are true: give a man a fish and he will eat for a day; teach a man
to fish and he will eat for a lifetime. (Some might say he will sit in a
boat all day and drink beer, but that's a different issue.)

We have over 2500 lists and our guidelines for list owners explicitly
state that the management of the list is the list owner's responsibility.
With few exceptions (there will always be exceptions), when we receive a
request from a list owner for a change that can be made by the list owner,
we respond with instructions for making the change and pointers to the
appropriate documentation. If the list owner has requested a change which
we consider unwise, such as making the list "Send=Public", we also explain
the inherent risks. Ultimately, however, we allow the owner to configure
the list to meet his or her needs, as long as the chosen configuration
does not adversely affect the operation of other lists or services.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator