Jim Gerland - Network User Support <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 17 May 1993 09:39:49 EDT
On Mon, 17 May 1993 08:19:32 EDT Michael Strangelove said:
>To access Volume One, Number One (June-July, 1993):
>Via LISTSERV
>send the command:
>get ibj ibj-1993.jun-jul
>to [log in to unmask]
>
>NOTE: Only subscribers of [log in to unmask] will be able to
>access this LISTSERV copy. To subscribe, send the command:
>SUB IBJ-L YOUR NAME to  [log in to unmask]
>
>Send the command in the body of the message, NOT in the
>subject line. DO NOT USE THE REPLY KEY TO SEND THIS
>COMMAND.

I must caution everyone against subscribing to this list unless and until the
author fixes his incorrectly configured UNIX listserver.

This is *NOT* a LISTSERV.  It is a poorly configured UNIX wannabe.

On Friday one of my users subscribed and proceeded to receive over 250
messages confirming his subscription.  I sent a SIGN command (believe it or
not this software is so poorly written that SIGN is the command to UNSUB
from a list).  He then proceeded to receive another 100+ notices that
he was not subscribed.

I told my mailer (LMAIL) not to accept mail from
[log in to unmask] and sent mail to the list owner and the
postmaster at berkeley.edu and have not yet heard a response to this problem.

So, a word of warning....

Jim Gerland  - Consultant, Network User Support           University at Buffalo
Academic Services, Computing & Information Technology     Buffalo, NY 14260
716.645.3557 Work                                         716.645.3734 FAX
[log in to unmask]                              [log in to unmask]