Eric Thomas <ERIC@LEPICS>
Wed, 26 Jul 89 11:45:54 GMT
>Not all nodes  that don't have a full NJE  implementation have a problem
>with this.

I know.  PASTEUR is running  an RJE emulator,  but I modified  the DMTSML
driver to pass  the required info on  the "listing banner" and  it has no
problem with  that kind  of things.  But before  we did  that mod  to the
software on both sides, it was reading the RFC822 or Netdata headers.

>A node  that looks inside  of files that are  sent directly to  users is
>going to have trouble with other  things. Internet mailing lists are one
>major example. NOTEs are another.

NOTEs come with a Netdata header, and they are no problem.

>Node administrators decide lots of things  for their users. It's part of
>the job.  This certainly seems  within the node  administrator's purview
>since it  affects network load. But  if there's a concern,  let the node
>administrator  establish a  default that  the users  can change  if they
>really want to.

The user  must be  able to change  it because, even  though there  may be
cases where the user has signed a paper with the provider of the computer
account which actually makes it legal for  the NAD to decide on this kind
of stuff on behalf  of the user, it may not always be  the case. The user
may  be able  to demand  that his  subscription be  set to  this or  that
option, for instance.  If the node-level option cannot  be overriden, and
several users  have different desiderata,  you have a problem.  And guess
who the NAD is going to point his finger at?

  Eric