William Verity <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 Jun 2001 09:08:30 -0400
Being a large listserv site, we get a lot of spoofing attempts.  This is where someone tries to subscribe to hundreds of lists.  This is almost always a denial of service attempt to flood the victims in-box.  However, some of these have been going undetected recently.

For example, last night we got over 600 attempts from [log in to unmask], but I did not get a spoof alert.  The subscription line was in error - perhaps that is the problem.  Listserv wrote an error message to the bogus address rather than detecting the spoof attempt.  Then I got the bounced error, part of which was

--
One big advantage to telling a clean joke is that there is a good chance no one has heard it.

Bill Verity - 814-865-4758  Fax: 814-863-7049
215A Computer Building - Center for Academic Computing, Penn State University
At the office - on my Mac, of course ;-)