Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 24 Feb 1997 21:40:58 -0500
 At 06:46 PM 2/24/97 -0500, Jeff Kell wrote:
>One of my users just posed this question/suggestion to me which I must
>agree would be worthwhile.  Is there any way to force this behavior now?
>I couldn't think of one, but open to suggestions...
>
>Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>
>
>User's request:
>> Since [xxx-L] is now added to the
>> subject line of every message going through the list, I have started using
>> it with a filter to route my xxx-l traffic (roughly half my total email
>> volume) into a separate mail file.
>>
>> I have noticed that occasionally a thread comes through with no subject
>> line.  This causes the message to be misrouted.  This isn't an "end of
>> the world" issue for me.  However, it would be nice if the listserver
>> forced a "Subject:" line, even if it simply contains the list name tag.
>
>Jeff Kell <[log in to unmask]>

I reported this behavior as what I believed to be (and I still believe it
to be) a "bug", but probably on LSTOWN-L rather than this list, about
a month ago.

It was met with deafening silence, which leads me to believe this is
truly a defective behavior that was not thought out in the implementation.
Nobody likes to say, "gee, we goofed, we forgot about this case."
Yet, I would have more respect if the LISTSERV folks would just admit that
they goofed here and say they'll fix it in the next rev.

Oh well.

Cheers,
Stan