Liam Kelly <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 21 Aug 2006 22:40:27 -0400
> I'm looking for an Lsoft Report which would tell me if/when a recipient
> actually opened/read the email I sent through my List?

As Pete says, if it's an L-Soft generated report that you want, you'll
want to look at LISTSERV Maestro, which acts as an add-on to LISTSERV and
does just this type of reporting:

http://www.lsoft.com/products/maestro_features.asp

However, I'll offer the standard caveat that applies to open-up tracking
with LISTSERV Maestro or any other package that does open-up tracking
based on images loaded in HTML messages -- you're not ever going to get
100% accuracy, and shouldn't treat open-up tracking numbers as absolutes.
Some recipients have mail clients or firewalls that block remotely-loaded
images in HTML e-mail; other recipients (like me) use text-only mail
clients that don't display images at all.  For those reasons, your open-up
rate is always going to be under-reported, and is mostly good for general
trend-tracking and comparison -- not so good for finding out if user X
opened your message or not.  For that, some form of click tracking works
better.  You *can* be (reasonably) sure whether user X clicked a
particular link in the message, at which point you can also infer that
they've opened/read the message.  For that sort of thing, LISTSERV Maestro
is an excellent tool.

As for "read receipts" and similar things offered by some mail clients, I
wouldn't even bother.  I've never acknowledged a request for a read receipt
in my life, even when I did use a mail client capable of doing so.  Unless
you're in a very controlled environment in which you know exactly what
mail client your recipients have, and they know that they're expected to
respond to read receipts from the list, you're not going to have much luck
going that route.

--
Liam Kelly
Senior Consulting Analyst

There is only one LISTSERV(R) -- the product that launched the email list
communication industry in 1986. To discover the story behind LISTSERV, visit:
http://www.lsoft.com/corporate/20anniversary.asp