Henri Bulterman <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 17 May 2001 13:31:31 -0400
Hi,

We've seen the disappearing-banner problem here, and the explanation is
quite simple (IMHO):  listserv does not take MIME boundaries into account
when appending banners.  A message with attachments will typically be
MIME-encoded, which can be described as follows:

   Message header with MIME information

  [anything here is ignored]
   --Starting MIME boundary
   Message text (HTML or plain)
   --Another MIME boundary, maybe
   Another message component, maybe
   --Ending MIME boundary--
   [anything here is ignored]

The listserver simply appends the banner to the message, where it is ignored
by the mail client.  If the listserver were smart it would recognize that
the message is MIME-encoded and would add the banner correctly:

   --New MIME boundary appended by listserv
   Banner appended by listserv
   --Ending MIME boundary--

I would argue that this is a logic deficiency that should be repaired.

Henri Bulterman, The MITRE Corporation