Marty Hoag <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 4 Feb 1992 21:49:01 CST
   The UUENCODING which is in LISTSERV has its roots in the /PDGET
or Trickle server (snap-in) which John Fisher wrote (I think).  That
was written for a rather narrow purpose:  To take binary PC images and
uuencode them.  Thus the sector length limitations.  The program was not
intended to be used for other stuff.  It also means that if you want to
store PC programs in binary on LISTSERV and use UUE then you should make
sure you store them with 128 byte records.

   It would be nice if there were something more generic available but
maybe we should hold out for supporting the enhanced mail folks are
talking about which will allow arbitrary data sections (I'm sure someone
else knows something about that - I really don't).

   One work-around we have used is to encode the file FIRST in some way
then store both versions on LISTSERV and let the users pick the ones
they want.  More work but more options...   ;-)

        Marty