Jim McIntosh <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 30 Jul 1993 18:37:59 GMT
In <[log in to unmask]> Joe Moore
<[log in to unmask]> writes:
>>   If you didn't give permission, Jim didn't gateway it.  Of course
>> some NON auvm or american.edu address could still be gatewayed.
>>
>I've 'spoken' with Jim already, and this is partially true.  Jim did
>not gateway it, but he inherited some previously gated entries.
>These WERE gated without permission.  In hindsight, maybe it was
>someone's responsibility to check with the listowners when Jim took
>over, but that would have been extraordinarily considerate.

In retrospect, I guess we should have.  My only excuse is that when we
consolidated the gateways I was not aware that the list owners did not
know their lists were being gated into newsgroups.  Since I have been
providing the gateway service no gateways have been added without the
listowner's permission.  I consider the gateway, like the mailing list,
to be the owner's to control as he or she pleases.  The gateway only
exists with the owner's permission, and is closed down as soon as I am
told to do so by a list owner.

I am sure there are more gateways than I know about, but I am enclosing
a list below of the gateways I am aware of.  Please review this list.
If you find your mailing list on this list and wish the gateway to the
indicated newsgroup to be closed, please contact [log in to unmask]
(in the case of auvm.american.edu contact me).

(This lists has been posted monthly to bit.admin and is also available
from LISTSERV@AUVM ([log in to unmask]) as "NETGATE GATELIST", or via
anonymous ftp as netgate.gatelist from ftp.american.edu (in the
pub.netnews directory).

Jim McIntosh ([log in to unmask])
The American University
Washington, DC USA 20016-8019
--------------8<---------------(cut here)---------------8<---------------
Archive-name: bit/gatelist
Last-modified: 29 July 1993

Mailing List              Usenet Newsgroup             Gateway Site
------------------------- ---------------------------- -----------------
[log in to unmask]       comp.org.acm                 auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.ada-law         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.advanc-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.advise-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     sci.med.aids                 cs.ucla.edu
[log in to unmask]         bit.listserv.aix-l           auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.allmusic        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask] alt.sys.intergraph    ingr.ingr.com
[log in to unmask]   comp.sys.amiga.hardware      umainecs.bitnet
[log in to unmask]   comp.sys.amiga.tech          umainecs.bitnet
[log in to unmask]      rec.arts.anime               vtserf.cc.vt.edu
[log in to unmask]   news.software.anu-news       kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
[log in to unmask]        bit.listserv.appc-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]   bit.listserv.apple2-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.applicat        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.arie-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      soc.politics.arms-d          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.ashe-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]         bit.listserv.asm370          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.autism          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      alt.cad.autocad              auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.axslib-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask] soc.religion.bahai         oneworld.wa.com
[log in to unmask]   bit.listserv.banyan-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]   bit.listserv.big-lan         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.billing         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.biosph-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]        bit.listserv.bitnews         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]   bit.listserv.blindnws        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    rec.arts.bonsai              auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.buslib-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.c+health        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.candle-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.catala          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.catholic        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     alt.cd-rom                   ngw.funet.fi
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.cdromlan        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      alt.med.cfs                  auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]   bit.listserv.cfs.newsletter  auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    chile.chile-l              uchdcc.dcc.uchile.cl
[log in to unmask]   bit.listserv.christia        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]         bit.listserv.cics-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.cinema-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.circplus        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask] alt.clearing.technology (n1)auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.cmspip-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]   comp.os.coherent             presto.ig.com
[log in to unmask]      comp.compilers               auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]        comp.society                 auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    rec.sport.cricket.scores     auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.csg-l           auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]   comp.sys.amiga               mainecs.bitnet
[log in to unmask]   bit.listserv.cumrec-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]  bit.listserv.cw-email        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.cwis-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]        bit.listserv.cyber-l         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]        bit.listserv.c18-l           auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.c370-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]         bit.listserv.dasig           auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.dbase-l         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]         bit.listserv.db2-l           auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.deaf-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask] vmsnet.networks.management.decmcc auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.decnews         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.dectei-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.devel-l         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      rec.games.diplomacy          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]  bit.listserv.disarm-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.domain-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]        comp.text.desktop            antigone.com
[log in to unmask]     rec.music.early              kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.earntech        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.ecolog-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.edi-l           auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]   bit.listserv.edpolyan        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.edstat-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.edtech          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.edusig-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     misc.emerg-services          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.emusic-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.endnote         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.envbeh-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.erl-l           auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.ethics-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.ethology        auvm.american.edu
EUEARN-L@UBVM             bit.listserv.euearn-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]         misc.taxes                   mvb.saic.com
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.film-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.fnord-l         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.frac-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.free-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.games-l         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask] bit.listserv.gaynet          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.gddm-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.geodesic        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]         bit.listserv.gguide          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]         comp.infosystems.gis         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]        rec.sport.golf               auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.govdoc-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]   bit.listserv.gutnberg        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]        bit.listserv.hellas          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]  bit.listserv.help-net        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.hindu-d         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.history         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    rec.video.satellite          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.hp3000-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]  sci.med.telemedicine         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     rec.hunting                  auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.hytel-l         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.i-amiga         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       comp.unix.questions          brl.arpa
[log in to unmask]   bit.listserv.ibm-hesc        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]   bit.listserv.ibm-main        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.ibm-nets        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.ibmtcp-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.ibm7171         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.india-d         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]  bit.listserv.info-gcg        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask] comp.graphics.gnuplot       dartmouth.edu
[log in to unmask]     vmsnet.tcpip.multinet        mvb.saic.com
[log in to unmask]       info.nets                    think.com
[log in to unmask]         comp.text.tex (Note 1)       mvb.saic.com
[log in to unmask]         vmsnet.tpu                   mccall.com
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.ingrafx         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.innopac         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.software.international   cis.vutbr.cz
[log in to unmask]         bit.listserv.ioob-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]        bit.listserv.ipct-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]          bit.listserv.isn             auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.jes2-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]         bit.listserv.jnet-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.l-hcap          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.l-vmctr         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask] vmsnet.networks.desktop.pathworks kuhub.cc.ukans.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.lawsch-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]        bit.listserv.liaison         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.libref-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.libres          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]        bit.listserv.license         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.linkfail        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.literary        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.lstsrv-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     vmsnet.internals             mccall.com
[log in to unmask]         bit.listserv.mail-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]   bit.listserv.mailbook        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.mba-l           auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.mbu-l           auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.mdphd-l         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]   bit.listserv.medforum        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.medlib-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.mednews         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.mideur-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]  alt.support.mult-sclerosis   auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.lang.neder-l             auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]   bit.listserv.netnws-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.nettrain        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]   bit.listserv.new-list        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.next-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask] comp.soft-sys.nextstep      presto.ig.com
[log in to unmask]     sci.lang.japan (Note 1)      mitvma.mit.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.nodmgt-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]   bit.listserv.notabene        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.notis-l         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]        bit.listserv.novell          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]   bit.listserv.omrscan         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]        bit.listserv.os2-l           auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.ozone           auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.pacs-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.page-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]   bit.listserv.pagemakr        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     comp.protocols.tcp-ip.ibmpc  udel.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.org.peace-corps          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.physhare        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.pmdf-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.politics        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.postcard        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.power-l         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.powerh-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]          sci.psychology.digest        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]   bit.listserv.psycgrad        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.qualrs-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.relusr-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       comp.lang.rexx               auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       misc.news.east-europe.rferl  auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]         comp.risks                   csl.sri.com
[log in to unmask]    soc.roots                    auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.rra-l           auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]        bit.listserv.rscs-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.rscsmods        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.s-comput        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]        bit.listserv.sas-l           auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]          soc.culture.jewish           nysernet.org
[log in to unmask] sci.answers (Note 1)      auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]   bit.listserv.script-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      soc.culture.soviet           presto.ig.com
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.scuba-l         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.seasia-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.seds-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]        bit.listserv.sfs-l           auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.sganet          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]         bit.listserv.simula          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.slart-l         auvm.american.edu
SLOVAK-L@UBVM             bit.listserv.slovak-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      comp.lang.smalltalk          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.snamgt-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask] comp.unix.solaris            presto.ig.com
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.sos-data        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]          sci.space                    isu.isunet.edu.
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.spires-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]  bit.listserv.sportpsy        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]        bit.listserv.spssx-l         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.sqlinfo         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.stat-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]        rec.radio.shortwave          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]         bit.listserv.tech-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.techwr-l   osuunx.ucc.okstate.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.tecmat-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      comp.dcom.telecom            eecs.nwu.edu
[log in to unmask]         bit.listserv.test            auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]         bit.listserv.tex-l           auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.tn3270-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.toolb-l         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      talk.politics.soviet         presto.ig.com
[log in to unmask]        bit.listserv.trans-l         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.travel-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.tsorexx         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]         bit.listserv.ucp-l           auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]           bit.listserv.ug-l            auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.uigis-l         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]   comp.lang.forth              weizmann.bitnet
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.urep-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.usrdir-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]         bit.listserv.uus-l (Note 1)  TerraLuna.Org
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.valert-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.vfort-l         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      soc.culture.vietnamese       auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]   bit.listserv.vm-util         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.vmesa-l         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.vmslsv-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]         bit.listserv.vmxa-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.vnews-l         auvm.american.edu
VPIEJ-L@VTVM1             bit.listserv.vpiej-l         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     alt.winsock                  microdyne.com
[log in to unmask]     vmsnet.networks.tcp-ip.wintcp auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.win3-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    rec.woodworking              auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]        bit.listserv.words-l         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]   bit.mailserv.word-mac        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.mailserv.word-pc         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.wpwin-l         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.wpcorp-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    bit.listserv.wx-talk         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.xcult-l         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]        bit.listserv.xedit-l         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]     bit.listserv.xerox-l         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]        bit.listserv.xmailer         auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]      bit.listserv.xtropy-l        auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]         bit.listserv.x400-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    comp.specification.z         comlab.ox.ac.uk
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.3com-l          auvm.american.edu
[log in to unmask]    comp.os.msdos.4dos           presto.ig.com
[log in to unmask]       bit.listserv.9370-l          auvm.american.edu

Notes:
1. This gateway in unidirectional. For example, mail to [log in to unmask]
   is gated to comp.text.tex at mvb.saic.com but posts to comp.text.tex
   are not gated back to [log in to unmask]

2. The lists whose names end in ".BITNET" are Listserv mailing lists. To
   subscribe, send mail to "LISTSERV@sitename" with a one-line mail
   message: "SUBSCRIBE listname yourname". People connected directly to
   BitNet may send the SUBSCRIBE command interactively.

3. Many BitNet sites are also reachable through the Internet. The
   Internet address can be obtained by sending the command "WHOIS
   sitename" (for example: WHOIS AUVM) as the first line of an e-mail
   message to [log in to unmask] Send HELP for more information on
   bitnodes. People at BitNet sites can send these commands as
   interactive messages to [log in to unmask]

4. The lists whose names end in something other than ".BITNET" are
   Internet mailing lists. To subscribe, send mail to
   "listname-request@sitename" asking to be placed on the list.

5. Please send additions, corrections or deletions to this list to Jim
   McIntosh at [log in to unmask]