"Christian J. Reichetzeder" <REICHETZ@AWIIMC11>
Tue, 17 Oct 89 11:12:29 SET
On Mon, 16 Oct 89 09:14:18 EDT Duane D. Weaver said:
>What is the best way to find the best possible peers for a list?
>I seem to remember reading something about the LSVBESTP command,

LSVBESTP is used to determine on which peer a new subscriber should be placed,
i.e. you have to have an existing chain of peers.

Now to your first question.
How do  *you* define "best  possible peers"? Do  you think of  minimum network
load, or equally distributed CPU-burns, best service for users ..? In any case
this depends on where the subscribers "sit".
If you have an existing list on a LISTSERV you can use the EXPLODE command. In
release 1.6 it's  very powerful and it  has also the BESTPEERS  (n) option. If
called  without options  EXPLODE examines  the  placement of  the local  (i.e.
subscribed on this LISTSERV)  users with regard to the list  of peers named in
the Peers= keyword.

The syntax for the EXPLODE command is:
  EXPLODE listname  <(options>
     options can be:  With      (newpeer1 <newpeer2 ..>)
                      WITHOut   (peer1 <peer2 ..>)
                      PREFer    nodeid
                      BESTpeers #
                      Detailed
                      FOR       nodeid
                      SERVice

Try it - it does no harm other than burning a few cpu cycles.
Christian