LISTSERV Administrator <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 14 Jun 1996 10:15:51 EST
On Fri, 14 Jun 1996 10:54:47 EDT Nathan Brindle said:
>On Thu, 13 Jun 1996 16:57:44 -0500 george tsai said:
>>
>>I follow the example to add three users but get "DDname "X" not found in job
>>stream."
>>I guess I don't quite understand what exactly dose DD means.
>>(The Listserv is on IRIX, not VM)
>
>The problem is not DD (which indicates that the command should use an
>external database, and is not limited to VM),

The term database here may be a bit confusing.  How 'bout we replace it
with dataset?

And to answer a part of the question that didn't really get answered,
DD is Data Definition.)   In the stream Nathan gives there's a line:
//X DD *
The // indicates this is a card with control language.  The X "names"
the dataset to follow.  DD says that this control card is a data definition.
The * says that the data follows this card directly and will end when a
/* (the last card in the example) is sent.

You may call me crazy (you won't be the first :-), but I *love* old OS
JCL... *sigh*  I miss it.  So clean.  So precise.

-Holly