John Roraback PhD <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 15 Oct 1998 12:36:21 EDT
I am a list owner and I would like to change the point at which a password is
required to access the search function Web page for my list's archives.
Specifically, I would like to make the "password required" Web page pop-up at
the time the user selects the archive search function on the home page, so
that before they reach the Web archive search page they must enter a password.
(My list's archives are open only to list members).

For a list open to subscribers only, the present level at which the password
is required is permits the person attempting to do a search to reach the
search page, enter their search terms, and submit the search before the
password is required.

My purpose for such a change is that I plan to customize my list's Web archive
search page and do want the added information on the page accessible only to
registered subscribers of my list.

Is this possible, and can this change be accomplished by a list owner? And of
course, how might I do this if it is possible <grin>.

In fact, I am curious why this is not the default for the LISTSERV web
archive. And although it may not be large, the current arrangement would seem
to place an extra burden on the server which has no purpose when used by those
who are not subscribed, and may create some confusion for non-subscribers
attempting to use the search page. If I remember correctly, when attempting to
browse the archive you are required to enter a password immediately after
selecting the week (or month) which you wish to view, and it would seem more
consistent to make this true for the search page as well.

Thanks,

John Roraback, PhD