Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 29 Jun 1994 22:25:16 +0200
As  you know,  tomorrow will  be the  last day  of free  (CREN-sponsored)
LISTSERV maintenance  for CREN sites.  Of course,  most of the  sites now
receiving free maintenance will be  renewing their contracts, but, from a
legal  perspective, we  are  not  supposed to  deliver  updates until  we
receive  the POs.  Thus, today  and  tomorrow are  the last  days we  can
deliver an update to everyone without  having to worry about which PO has
and has not  arrived. Ordinarily we would not want  to deliver any update
just before  the end  of a maintenance  period, but we  have a  small and
critical fix  to deliver to everyone.  It has been running  on production
for several months on many core servers, and has no pre- or co-requisite.
We are  so sure  that there  will be no  problem that  we are  willing to
guarantee that we will fix any  problem resulting from the application of
this fix, at no charge. In fact, all  you would have to do to back out is
restore  a single  file,  LSVBITFD  MODULE, from  your  backups. We  will
provide a copy at  no charge to anyone who needs it;  actually, it is one
of the files that are freely available from all the LISTSERVs.

The reason  we feel this  fix is  so critical is  that it is  required in
order  to  fully exploit  the  emerging  LISTSERV-TCP/IP backbone.  While
version 1.8a  includes all the necessary  code, it was released  3 months
before LISTSERV-TCP/IP  (LTCP), and as  a result  this code had  not been
tested in  an actual production  environment. Unfortunately, a  bug crept
into this new code,  rendering it unusable in any network  with 3 or more
LTCP servers  (this is why it  was not detected during  development). The
good news is that the bug is  in one of the standalone modules, which can
be easily replaced  without including any pre-requisite.  This also means
that sites running a later beta fix  will be able to install this FIX18AT
on top of their current system, without removing any of the code they are
testing.

Many LISTSERV sites  have decided to leave BITNET in  July and migrate to
LTCP, either on VM  or together with a migration to unix  or VMS. Some of
these sites are high-volume backbone  servers. Once they have migrated to
LTCP,  only  LTCP-exploitive  servers  will  be  able  to  use  them  for
DISTRIBUTE delivery and  other backbone functions, such as  list of lists
registration.  While a  LTCP server  can deliver  jobs to  a regular  NJE
server, NJE  servers which are not  LTCP-exploitive will not talk  to the
LTCP servers,  other than to answer  requests coming from them.  That is,
non-exploitive servers do not know about  the existence of the other LTCP
servers,  nor   do  they  know   how  to  include  them   in  topological
calculations. All they can do is reply  to a request from an LTCP server,
should one be received. Concretely, the difference between a vanilla 1.8a
server and an LTCP-exploitive  one is that the latter can  be sent a copy
of  the new  INTPEERS NAMES  file with  the Internet-only  servers, which
automatically activates LTCP-exploitation. Without FIX18AT or equivalent,
you get a CMS abend if you try that.

The  benefits of  LTCP-exploitation  are  quite straightforward.  Without
LTCP-exploitation, a LISTSERV site that migrates  to LTCP is gone. As far
as your LISTSERV is concerned, this is just the same as if the machine in
question had  been shut down permanently.  So when a major  backbone site
migrates  to LTCP,  you  will get  more  RSCS and  SMTP  traffic on  your
machine. For a  backbone site in your immediate vicinity,  you might even
see an  order of magnitude  increase. Another  aspect is that,  while the
LTCP servers  will regularly send you  list of list updates,  your server
will weed  them out with  equal regularity,  on the assumption  that they
come from a node that was removed from BITNET but whose RSCS link was not
taken down.  Such nodes  can send  to any BITNET  address, but  cannot be
replied to,  and LISTSERV does  not want  any unreachable address  in its
list of  lists. This means  your users will not  be able to  subscribe to
lists hosted on LTCP servers unless  they send the command to the correct
server, or to an LTCP-exploitive server.

Because we  are concerned about  the impact  that a major  LTCP migration
might have  on the BITNET core,  and to avoid unnecessary  user confusion
that would be detrimental to both LTCP and LNJE sites, L-Soft has decided
to deliver, on an exceptional basis, a free 1.8a + FIX18AT upgrade to all
1.7f sites,  and in particular to  the 120-odd CREN sites  that could not
sift  through  the  overly  complicated CREN/L-Soft  paperwork  on  time,
provided of course that this can be done with a reasonable level of legal
safety. Needless to  say, our lawyers did  not like the idea  one bit. It
turned out  that we cannot simply  go ahead and deliver  1.8a to everyone
without  running  the risk  that  1.8a  might  turn into  shareware.  The
explanation is of  the kind that ordinary mortals  cannot understand, but
it has to do with the fact that  the update is free, and would be sent to
just about anyone,  as opposed to people  we have a joint  study or other
agreement with.  That is, it  is a  gift to a  large body of  people, and
there are annoying precedents which could  work against us. We could make
dummy  joint studies  with  everyone,  but that  would  create  a lot  of
paperwork when  the intent is to  eliminate all paperwork so  that we can
ship right now.

Instead we  were advised to attempt  to use the CREN/L-Soft  contract for
this  purpose, as  this  is a  clean  sale.  We can  deliver  to all  the
beneficiaries listed in Schedule A without  any risk of turning 1.8a into
shareware, since we have received payment  from CREN for this update. All
we  would have  to do  is declare  ourselves satisfied  with some  e-mail
document  in  lieu of  maintenance  agreement,  and advance  everyone  to
Licensed  Member.  We  would  be  taking  a  certain  risk  by  providing
maintenance without any written agreement, but with only a few days to go
this is a risk we would be willing to take.

Unfortunately, this is not possible  because section 4 of the CREN/L-Soft
agreement uses  the word "executed".  If it  had said "agreed",  we would
have been  able to advance  everyone on  our own, just  as we do  when we
receive  a suitable  written  maintenance agreement.  The  intent of  the
CREN/L-Soft  contract  is clearly  to  get  1.8a  to everyone,  with  the
paperwork being just an annoying obstacle for L-Soft's protection. If the
contract had  said "agreed", nobody could  have claimed that we  were not
following its intent or letter by  simply advancing everyone. It is up to
L-Soft to decide how much legal protection it wants for this maintenance,
and if we think an e-mail agreement is good enough, that is our problem -
the risk is on our side. But since the contract says "executed", we would
be violating the letter  of the contract if we just  declared that we are
happy with an  e-mail agreement. And given our relationship  to the other
party of that contract, we simply cannot afford breaching it.

This,  of  course, is  only  a  problem if  CREN  objects  to a  suitable
amendment.  So we  formally asked  CREN yesterday  whether they  would be
willing to amend the contract to allow us to advance all the sites listed
in  Schedule  A,  with  or  without  written  maintenance  agreement.  As
expected, they  asked us  to give them  some time to  think it  over, and
presumably to discuss the issue with  their attorney. We expect that CREN
will accept to amend the contract,  both because of the clear benefits to
CREN members and in particular to  the core sites, and because delivering
without any  written agreement is what  they had originally wanted  us to
do. So, hopefully, we will be  able to start exploiting the LTCP backbone
a few weeks from now.

  Eric