Tue, 2 Sep 1997 22:28:34 -0700
Hello,

        My name is Don Lee and I am a high school junior involved with the
Junior State of America (JSA). JSA is a non-profit organization run totaly
by students all accross the united states. As a state cabinet member in the
southern california region I am the telecommunications director. It is my
job to setup and weekly update webpages about JSA. It has come to my
attention that JSA would benifit greatly if it had a mailing list. It would
make it easier for the leaders and members to communicate eficiently.
However to establish a mailing list it requires money, and as a students we
do not have the funds to start a mailing list. Therefore we need to find an
individual, organization, or company who would be willing to become our
sponsor. If it is possible that you, your organization, or your company
would be willing to provide us with a mailing list we would truly be greatful.
        If it is possible for anyone to sponsor our club with a webpage
please contact me at my private address [log in to unmask], because I do
not follow this discussion group. Thank You.

Below I have included a brief discription of JSA.

        Professor Ernest Andrew Rogers, the founder of the Junior Statesmen
of America, felt that the best way to learn about and develop an
understanding and appreciation of our democratic system was to partake in it
first hand. This principle of education though participation is the
foundation upon which the Junior State of America was built upon. The Junior
State has established it’s own internal governmental structure and elects
and appoints students to run every aspect of the organization. This allows
students to gain an understanding first hand, how government really works.
        There are numerous political organizations for high school students
that attempt to teach young people about government, democracy, and current
events. However while students do play large roles in some organizations,
the vast majority of them are really run by adults. The Junior State is
distinctly different in this regard. It is the largest student run  high
school nonpartisan political organization in the country. Its elected and
appointed student leadership determine the course of the organization every
step of the way. Our leaders bring about out organization’s successes and
failures. Professor Rogers felt that the best way to learn whether our
system is to try it yourself and see what works and what does not. Democracy
must be experienced in order to be appreciated and understood.
        Our student leaders are therefore given as much freedom as possible
to steer the organization in the direction they feel is best. It is their
sincerest dedication to the organization and endless work that prevents it
from going astray. Every decision made in the Junior State is made by
someone who is directly or indirectly entrusted by the members to make that
decision. The success of every aspect of the state from the conventions to
the chapters affairs program, all depend on the wisdom and dedication of
these student leaders
        Traditionally , the Junior State has found the best possible people
to be it’s leaders – people with experience, wisdom, leadership skills, and
tremendous dedication. Every member of the Junior State needs to understand
that it is up to them to make sure this tradition continues. The Junior
State is a democracy; it is up to the people to ensure its success.

Sincerely,

Don Lee
SC Telecommunications director
North Hollywood High School Chapter President

              I AM THE CENTER OF MY UNIVERSE
     EVERYONE ELSE IS EITHER A STAR, A BLACKHOLE, OR AN
          INSIGNIFICANT SPECK OF USELESS MATTER ©

                     The Otakunizer
              E-Mail [log in to unmask]
         http://members.tripod.com/~Otakunizer