Valdis Kletnieks <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 29 Aug 2005 22:48:05 -0400
On Mon, 29 Aug 2005 21:45:30 EDT, "Tayea, Tamer" said:
> Hi ,
>
> Currently, the SMTP_FORWARD, SMTP_FORWARD_1 are configured to go to a Virus
> Checking SMTP server, which is used by Mail servers on the organization...
> The current (NT Configuration)== smtp.ecfgmg.org (for example)
>
> Can I do that under Linux 3.0 and ?

Sure.  However, what we do, and what I'd recommend instead:

1)  The MX for listserv.vt.edu points at our virus scanners, which then
forward the non-virus stuff to the real listserv machine.

2) The Listserv machine then does its own *outbound* mail handling.

The justification? It's a lot less resource intensive to scan *one* copy
on its way towards a list than it is to scan 34,918 copies outboud. ;)

There's a few corner cases involving DISTribute jobs if you're part of
the Listserv backbone, but you get the general idea...