Mark Drake <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 11 Jul 1996 15:14:53 -0700
>I was about to deal with the enclosed message when I discovered the
>last two paragraphs.  Has anyone ever seen anything like this before?
>This is a particularly obnoxious posting, and what's worse, from what
>I can see in the headers, this was *not* sent via the newsgroup, but
>came by their subscribing, sending, then unsubscribing (since
>[log in to unmask] is not currently subscribed to the list).

One of my listmembers works across the street from the guy who sent the
spam.  He decided to go talk to him over lunch.  I have included his
comments below for those who are interested.

Mark Drake

--- begin forwarded text

Dear all:

Well, I have just returned from the Taft Building across the street, where
"HLD Publishing" resides.

Actually, it's a guy named Hector. He doesn't even have his business name
on the door, I think he sub-lets an office.  He's not too tall, probably
only 5'5", is coming up soon on 50 years old.

He considers himself a "pioneer".  One of the things he told me was, "They
didn't like the commercials when radio first came out."  He just figures
flames and angry people are part of the cost of doing business.  He claims
to already have gotten lots of orders, "from universities, and others."
What exactly, "a lot" is, I don't really know.

He was self-effacing in manner, probably because I'm bigger than him!  But,
he sees nothing wrong with what he is doing, and thinks of himself as
"doing something new."  We discussed why people disliked spams, and how
they are similar to FAX advertising.  He thinks that FAX ads are, or should
be illegal, but failed to make the connection about why e-mail spams are
just as bad.  He also was not aware that the bit.listserv.* hierarchy was
really mailing lists mirrored to Usenet.  (Seems that for someone who can
do some of the other things he did, that he ought to know that!)  He was
surprised to find that I received his ad via e-mail.

In addition, his "disclaimer" at the end is a hoax, he has no power to
enforce his $95.00 fee either for removal from his "list" (which he isn't
going to do anyway) or for cancelling his posts.  He's just trying to "beat
the 'bots"

BTW, he claims that the ways he beat the moderation was just to put
"approved" on it himself.

He also changes the path, as well as the account name.

Caveat Spammor!

Lou Schwing                          La Crescenta Presbyterian Church:
[log in to unmask]             http://www.primenet.com/~louschw/

"Nuclear War would really set back cable."
                       - - Ted Turner

--- end forwarded text

Mark

--