Paul Russell <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 10 Feb 2004 15:31:46 -0500
Bill Verity wrote:
> That's the problem!  Most of the files in the apache area are owned
> by root and the system group has r-x access.  wa is the exception
> since the install docs say we should chown that to listserv.
>
> What do most sites do?  Just chown everything to listserv or put
> listserv in the system group and make sure system has rwx?  Listserv
> is the only system running on the machine so either one would work,
> it seems to me.

Our list service runs on a multi-purpose system in our central mail cluster, and
the web service is serving up both list-related and non-list-related pages. The
web service is configured to do virtual hosting, and two of the three virtual
host names are associated with the list service. With the exception of wa, which
is in the cgi-bin directory, all web files associated with the list service are
in the htdocs/listserv directory hierarchy. That directory and its contents are
owned by the listserv user. The rest of the web service directory hierarchy is
owned by root.

The web service is configured to use htdocs/listserv/archives as the document
root for HTTP requests where the host name is either of the virtual host names
associated with the list service, and htdocs as the document root for all other
requests.

--
Paul Russell
Senior Systems Administrator