Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 16 Jul 1999 03:05:27 +0200
> 15 Jul 1999 13:26:54 Missing DATA order in file '6575189.MAIL'.
> 15 Jul 1999 13:26:54 *** LSMTP extensions activated ***

The "missing DATA" message can be normal if you have had a power
failure, crash or other CHKDSK event. It just means you have an
unfinished MAIL file and LISTSERV just skips over it. Normally, the
job file is not deleted until after the last MAIL file is written, so no data
has been lost. Of course if CHKDSK found errors on the disk, data may
have been lost but this is another story. Here I note that the message is
immediately followed with "LSMTP extensions activated" which means that
LISTSERV had just been restarted. If you examine 6575189.MAIL-ERR1,
you will probably find that it ends abruptly in the middle.

Another possibility is that you are using 1.8d with 1.1b and the
USE_LSMTP_MAIL_MERGE=1 option in SITE.CFG, but with a 1.8c
copy of SMTPW.EXE (this is not supposed to be possible, but if in theory
you had this setup, etc). In this case, 6575189.MAIL-ERR1 will
contain a correct mail-merge data stream which the 1.8c worker does
not know what to do with.

  Eric