Bill Verity <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 11 Jun 2001 16:18:44 -0400
Thanks for the quick response.  Two more questions interspersed below.

>>I'm not clear on how autodelete works:
>>
>>In Auto-delete=yes,semi-Auto,delay(4),max(10):
>>
>>how does "delay" work.  I assume the number is number of contiguous
>>days.  When the first bounce occurs, an entry is made into the
>>listname.autodel file so they can be monitored.  Then what?
>
>It sounds like you understand it.  An address starts being monitored
>when LISTSERV receives a bounce (in a format it understands) for the
>address in question.
>
>If four consecutive days pass without another bounce being received,
>the address is no longer monitored.
>
>If another bounce is received on day #4 the address is removed.

Hmm.  But this would be only the second bounce.  Still removed?

>If ten bounces are received in a four-day period the address is
>removed after the 10th bounce.  (So for instance if ten bounces are
>received on the first day the address would be removed immediately;
>LISTSERV wouldn't wait another three days to do it.)
>
>Because of the way this works, an An Auto-Delete= setting of the type
>you quote tends to work best for discussion mailing lists.  For
>announcement mailing lists you generally have to make some
>adjustments for this to work well.
>
>>1. Is this entry removed from the autodel file on the 4th day if no
>>more errors have happened.  That is, does monitoring stop 4 days
>>after the most recent bounce?
>
>Yes.
>
>>2. Suppose one error happens every day for the next 3 days.  Is the
>>subscriber removed from the list on the 4th day.
>
>No.

hmm - but this would be 4 bounces in  4 days.  One for the first day, one each on the next 3 days.
Want to take back your "No"?

--
One big advantage to telling a clean joke is that there is a good chance no one has heard it.

Bill Verity - 814-865-4758  Fax: 814-863-7049
215A Computer Building - Center for Academic Computing, Penn State University
At the office - on my Mac, of course ;-)