"Young, David" <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 11 Jul 2007 09:03:30 -0500
The mandatory list is one used to transmit important information to the
employees.  The one they'd be able to opt out of is for campus news and
such.

-----Original Message-----
From: LISTSERV site administrators' forum
[mailto:[log in to unmask]] On Behalf Of Pete Weiss
Sent: Friday, July 06, 2007 4:21 PM
To: [log in to unmask]

At 14:50 7/6/2007 Friday, Young, David wrote:
>I've been asked to periodically update a newsletter mailing list with
>subscribers from a mandatory employees mailing list but allow said
>subscribers to opt out of the newsletter list. Except for the opt-out
>part, I was going to use the mandatory list as a sub-list for the
>newsletter. Has anyone encountered a situation like this and do you
>have any suggestions? My quick and dirty approach will probably be to
>scan the changelog file after the list has been updated and issue the
>necessary add or delete commands accordingly but that seems to be a
>major headache. Any ideas would be appreciated. Thanks.

With a sub-list involved, how will the subscriber "know" which list they
are on when they choose to opt-out?

Actually, I'm a little confused by which is mandatory and which is
optional, and which list you are going to check fhe changelog and issue
commands for some other list.

Or maybe it is very easy?

Opt-out list A, has sub-list B.  Sub-list B has mandatory subscribers.
If "B" subscriber opts-out, it is really for "A," so that list-owner
re-ADDs to "B" *and* "A" but SETs NOMAIL for "A"  (maybe QUIETly?).

Follow-up to lstown-l.

/P