Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 9 May 2009 00:07:01 +0200
F-Secure is generally slowish because each file is scanned three times by three independently developed engines. This being said, it is exceptionally slow when scanning ZIP or JAR files, or files that it believes could be ZIP files. There is no need, and frankly no reason, to scan every file type. I set it up to scan only predefined file types, and if needed I exclude certain directories where I know there will be a bunch of ZIP or JAR files.

I have not noticed a big difference in performance between 7.0 and 8.0. The party line is that 8.0 is faster, and it might be, I did not see a big difference either way. I found 7.0 to be substantially faster than 5.5, but I migrated a long time ago.

There is big drop in F-Secure performance on Windows x64, especially for ZIP files. Overall, I have no operational problem with F-Secure performance on 32-bit Windows, not with any hardware made on the last 3 years. But on 64-bit Windows it can be a hassle and I really hope they do something about it.

If it comes to that, LISTSERV only needs F-Secure to scan the x:\LISTSERV\TMP directory for filetype .EXE. But I would recommend enabling normal AV scan to protect your system. F-Secure is not perfect but it is one of the better products in the market where detection rates are concerned.

  Eric