John Dulaney <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 27 Mar 1995 18:52:56 GMT
The problem I have is E-mailing 4-5,000 addresses updates of my latest
goods for sale.
        I need a loop program that will send these out in a staggered way
so as not to clog my Access Provider. I am on a SUN system and use PINE
usually.
        I need just a few parameters. The prog. itself, the name of the
distrib. list and the file to be sent.
        I've had about 15 programs that were hoped to have worked but the
only one that ever did was from a crl, my provider, employee who did it
on the side for me and I can't go back to him.
        The prog. he wrote sent the mail out indeed, but it also sent out
my file to the nickname, the last name and the first name of the client
before getting to the last line in my .addressbook and sending it out as
well.
        This created hundreds/thousands of bounced mail which crl had to
got through by hand. Since an E-mail using only a single name, such
as John, will default to a crl address I also seemed to have been sending
E-mail to every customer crl has!
        Crl dropped my access without word to me at that point but I made
it right until I next err. The next time this happens I'll lose my
connection with crl permanently.
        As I am not a programmer and very poor at techy things I need a
program that will work without further tinkering by me.
        To test it you could use the test file I've enclosed and create
in your .addressbook a distrib. list with my address typed in 3 X.
        Boy, I don't ask much, do I?
        Attached are various attempts by others to help me.
        Perhaps some would even work if I was using the correct chmod.
        I've used a+x a+u but that prob. doesn't mean much.
        Your kind help will be forever remembered by me.
        Thanks for even reading the above.
        Best, John
#!/bin/sh

COUNT=0

for i in `cat $2`
do
       COUNT=`/bin/echo $COUNT + 1 | /bin/bc`
        /usr/ucb/mail -s $1 $i < $3
        /bin/sleep 1
        /bin/echo Mailing to $i
        /bin/echo $COUNT
        if [ `/bin/echo $COUNT % 5 | /bin/bc` -eq 0 ]; then
                /bin/echo Resting ...
                /bin/sleep 7;
        fi
done

--
*    FREE shareware and latest CD-ROM/Computer gear for sale at my    *
*    WWW WEB PAGE  http://www.xmission.com/~wwwads/mind/logic.html    *