Harold C Pritchett <HAROLD@UGA>
Fri, 5 Feb 88 11:52:31 EST
>>From:         Eric Thomas <ERIC@FRECP11>
>>I am afraid I will have to put  a limit on the number of files a given
>>user may order a  day in the next release of  LISTSERV. This may cause
>>problems with servers  or NADs who order files from  LISTSERV to store
>>them on  public disks, but  something has to  be done to  prevent this
>>kind of things.

>From:         Ross Patterson <A024012@RUTVM1>
>    I hope  you intend  to make this  limit installation-controllable.
>At the  very least,  I'd like  a MaximumFilesPerDay  SYSVARS variable.
>But it would  be even better if  there was an exit  (LSV$MFPD?) to let
>the  installation decide  on a  case-by-case  basis.  Some  of us  use
>LISTSERV for  local/campus/ regional fileservers, and  would need this
>kind of control over the limit.

I would also like to see it implemented in such a way that it can be
controlled by the local postmaster.  Ross' idea of a user exit seems to
be a good way to go, and a default version could be distributed with
LISTSERV.  Perhaps the default exit could check for NAD's and LISTSERVs
and impose a different limit on them than on the normal "Joe" user.

Harold