Ferhat Djavidan <DJAVI@TRBOUN>
Tue, 20 Feb 90 10:23:32 TST
Hi all,

I've sent this mail to both lstsrv-l and nodmgt-l, since it is for both
listserv'ers and nads etc.

This is for Line Monitor Utility. Line Monitor should not be used for
monitoring files. It monitors the files according to their line numbers.
This is nonsense. There is no logic with this.

Assume this, I want to send a file, which includes 3 characters per line
(including cr,lf stuff) and it is 30000 lines long. If I can multiply
correctly, this makes 30000*3=90000 bytes, just 90K (approx). What will
Line Monitor do? It will hold it until the weekend. Right?

I received the recomendation list of EARN for long files and their
transmission rules and approximate transfer times that are based on.
These are all wrong and nonsense.

Of course saying to everything *nonsense* does not solve the mistakes but
this job is for EARN programmers or for IBM people since most of the things
are written for those machines. I will sleep in my bad and will dream
beautiful lands while the real Line Monitoring program is being written.
:-)) Just kidding a little bit while talking *serious* stuff.

The Real Line Monitor MUST monitor bytes (characters) not the LINES. This
is just funny and I have nothing but smile to this.

King regards,
Ferhat Djavidan