David E Boyes <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 3 Nov 1993 11:04:36 -0600
> I did see this phrase before posting my question.
> But what I meant was : it doesn't tell me *which e-mail message* it is
> about

Sigh. I'm not certain whether it makes much sense to keep track
of *every* message Subject: line -- a vast majority of people
don't respond to the same mailing list so many times in a finite
time period that the delay between the posting and the response
is significant. The composition time compared to delivery time
(assuming that there is reasonable connectivity between your site
and the server site) is at least 3-4:1.

> Ok. But why can't the server include a copy of my Subject: line in its
> Subject: line ?

My server distributes more than 150,000 files a day. The extra
processing time (which I'm giving away gratis to the net) would
be significant to add this 'feature' which is of limited utility
to the vast majority of the user population.