Paul Karagianis <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 24 Aug 2000 14:48:29 -0400
On 24 Aug 2000, at 12:34, Jack Schmidt wrote:

>2. What sorts of quota limits have you imposed?

We recommend the total available divided by the number of lists, eg ~14GB
/ ~700 = 20 MB.  Since many lists don't archive or need minimal archives
this lets us allow for exceptions, with a couple of lists running in the
200 to 300+ MB range.  We have medical support groups where excessive
verbosity can be catagorized and used as indicative of condition.

>3. Do you have guidelines on what lists to allow to be archived or can any
>list be archived?

Discretion of the owners.  We don't want to create an expectation that we
have manpower available to review or police the content of the lists.  We
recommend archives over two calendar years old (<1998) be deleted, but
support a half dozen lists that go back 8 or 9 years.

>Any comments or suggestion are greatly appreciated!

Most of our owners are concientious, many aren't.  When conservation is an
issue (when disk is critical... it's always too little) we've added on a
lame technology (old, non-RAID) disk withOUT WWW support and then warned the
community that we intended to move the hogs to it, biggest first.  This
seemed to motivate the community to police itself.

                                                    -Kary