Marty Hoag <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 5 Mar 1992 10:01:07 CST
Jim:
   We've been using the OWNNAME exit in the FILEID file for some time
(it was from John Voigt now a "neighbor" in NY!).  That gives files all
the same name as in the filelist.

   In most cases we do all file storing via LISTSERV so the filelist gets
updated.  We usually just define a 191 for the list userid with a LINK
to the appropriate LISTSERV minidisk.

   For example, the list  ROOTS-L here has in it's directory entry:

 LINK LISTSERV 409 191 RR ALL

where 409 is the dynamic disk used for ROOTS-L.  Then the ROOTS-L FILEID has:

*DEFAULT* O2/409 OWNNAME

   We also have a userid named ANONYMOU so the user does get a minidisk by
default when they FTP in (see the IBMTCP-L archives for how this is done).
Anyway, in this minidisk we have set up some files like
      ROOTS-L DISK
so if the user just connects via anonymous FTP and enters DIR they can
see some of the "directory" entries.

   The nice thing about using the LINK above is that the user can just
enter   CD ROOTS-L   to get connected to the right disk.  They don't have
to remember   cd listserv.409    or something strange like that.

       Marty