Doron Shikmoni <P85025@BARILVM>
Mon, 19 Jun 89 12:44:58 P
I want to set up a discussion list for some department. The department
is made up of a few (two right now) distinct groups. I want:

1. A simple way to send mail to all subgroups (specifying a single dest).
2. A simple way to send mail to one subgroup only.
3. Members of all subgroups to be able to read notebooks of other subgroups.

So far I have managed to accomplish 1 and 2, by setting one "top" list
which points to several "lower" lists. The people are subscribed to the
lower lists only. Setting up "Reply-To" properly makes this work rather
nicely.

I have difficulties with (3) above - I have just sent mail to this list
about that specific problem. But now I have a new requirement: People
who want to listen to all traffic, on all subgroups. Putting them on
the "top" list is of course no good - since they will not see postings
to a single group. Putting them on all (some) subgroups also isn't nice
since they will get double postings from the top list. I also don't want
to flatten the whole construct by maintaining different lists for the
groups and for the top list, though this is possible.

The only way I came up with to do this is to add a forth list and
pout it in the BOTTOM of the hierarchy:

                   TOP-L
                /    |   \
               /     |    \
             G1-L   G2-L   G3-L
               \     |     /
                \    |    /
                 \   |   /
                   BOT-L

People that want to hear "all" will be put on BOT-L.

This is both complicated and limiting (I can't let someone from G1 to
listen to G1 and G2 only; his alone - or everything), although it can
work.

Any better solution? Any undoc'ed LISTSERV feature for this? Ideally,
I would have LISTSERV combine all the users from all local lists for
a single mailing, and remove dups. In my current implementation this
doesn't seem possible since LISTSERV isn't aware that the members of
TOP-L are in fact lists managed by itself.

Any advice?
Thanks
Doron