John Debruyn <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 16 Sep 1996 20:36:54 -0600
Hi all:

I received several more administrative messages in the LISTSERV list that
I manage over the last few days.  When I saw that it also happens here
(see the one word note that was just circulated in LSTSRV-L appended
below), I thought this just does not need to happen.  I put the footer
idea into affect but advertising how to get off the list strikes me as
negative advertising affecting that would overtime affect the subscibers
attitude.  In turn this would hurt our retention of subscirbers.

Idea 1.  There are lots of lists maintained by my Internet service
provider and I may be able to talk them in to doing something.  Would it
be possible for my provider to set up a script to sreen messages addresed
to the list before they hit the LISTSERV program and dispose of those with
unofficial commands like remove and unsubscribe.

Idea 2.  I guess rather than having my provider do it with a program or
script, I could moderate the list.  I suspect since no one suggested the
idea one solution earlier that it is not easily done.  However, there is
no other good reason for me to moderate the list.  Except for these
administrative messages going to the list there are very, very few
occassion where I would have wanted to intercept a message.

Idea 3.  Install a robot moderator by way of a script at my end.  To
return all of the messages that have no "unofficial" commands in the first
few lines back to LISTSERV with the majic ok.  While I am at it I would
have the robot not forward messages with the word digest in the subject
line.  Has anyone heard of this being done.  I am willing to put a bounty
out.

Thanks for listening,

John

On Mon, 16 Sep 1996, Lee M. Gilman wrote:

> remove

John DeBruyn, Denver, Colorado, The Mile High City, USA     ([log in to unmask])