Dan Lester <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 23 Sep 1991 14:20:10 MST
I don't believe that this is in the current options, is it Eric?  Is it
worth adding?  This is in response to a posting of a msg that was broadcast
to 86 lists at once.  Even if 5 was a maximum, it wouldn't stop it
completely, but at least it would make the broadcasters work harder! 8-)
   dan
I believe that there is no reasonable way of stopping these abuses save
altering Listserv to quash distribution of any item with a suspicious number
of entries in the TO: field of the incoming mail.  Perhaps the definition
of "suspicious" could be determined by listowners individually for each
list.  Unless I'm overlooking something, this is a fairly simple and
effective solution that would stop all but the most determined.

I suggest, again, that the network authorities take action on this idea.
As the net grows, so grows the problem.  Now is the time to act.

Tim Stephen
Associate Professor
RPI