Roger Fajman <[log in to unmask]>
Tue, 19 Dec 2000 22:18:38 -0500
> On 12/17/00 at 2:57 PM -0500, Roger Fajman said:
> > > The admin interface wasn't what I had in mind; it's the web interface in the
> >> Archives directory.  This is where users go to select the list to which they
> >> want to subscribe, post or view archives.  In our case that's
> >> http://www.uscj.org/archives/ (and the default index.html).
> >>
> >> Once again, I'd like to have an alphabet at the top (and maybe bottom) that
> >> links to the first appearance of a clicked letter, e.g. 'A' links to AATEST,
> >> 'B' links to BERWYN, etc.
> >
> >We wrote a program that does that and a few other things.  See
> >http://list.nih.gov and select Browse.
>
> The NIH site looks great!  Roger, could you tell us a bit about the program in broad terms?  For example, what is it written in?  When does it run? Are you offering it to the rest of us?

It's a CGI written in Perl, if memory serves.  I don't remember all the
details, but essentially it checks to see if LISTSERV's list of lists
has changed.  If so, it postprocesses it to create three versions like
the one you see.  The version shown to the user depends on their IP
address.  There's one for the Internet in general, one for NIH, and one
for our sister agencies.  So users don't see lists that aren't
available to them.

We can provide a copy, but there's no documentation.  Anyone who wants
to use it will need to modify it for their environment.