Ben Parker <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 1 Dec 2005 20:20:27 -0700
On Thu, 1 Dec 2005 14:33:23 -0800, Scott Ciliberti <[log in to unmask]>
wrote:

>I'd like to give someone else other than myself administrative
>rights to modify the colors and layout of my LISTSERV homepage.  I was
>told that in order to do this, I need to make the person a Postmaster

This much is correct.  POSTMASTER or Site Manager privileges are necessary
to modify those parts of the LISTSERV www interface.

>by sending the command "Configuration-Owner= Postmaster, address 1, address
>2" to my server,

This is wrong in several ways.  In the first place granting of POSTMASTER or
Site Manager privileges requires editing the LISTSERV Configuration File (in
Windows: x:\LISTSERV\MAIN\site.cfg, in Linux/Unix: ~/listserv/go.user, see
Docs for other OS) on the server and adding additional email addresses to
the line

 POSTMASTER= [log in to unmask]

Note carefully that for this file, multiple entries on this line must always
be space-separated and never comma-separated.  Thus you will have

 POSTMASTER= [log in to unmask] [log in to unmask]

Then you stop/restart LISTSERV.  The new POSTMASTER person must register
their own Personal Password with LISTSERV.  NEVER, ever use the CREATEPW
(which is deprecated and should not be used from Version 14.3 onwards
anyway) Then they can login and do what they need to do.

The other thing wrong with the above is that

 Configuration-Owner= user@address

is valid but is a List Header configuration line that may be added to the
List Header of a list as necessary.  But, this line, like the POSTMASTER=
line above, also cannot be modified by sending an email message as was
suggested.  (You can send an email message containing the entire and
complete List Header configuration, but you cannot edit/change single lines
in this way.)  Better anyway is to use the LISTSERV www interface.

LISTSERV is a very mature full-featured program with many, many
configuration options.  While this makes the program very flexible, it does
not necessarily make for quick/easy setup.

You can always ask questions here on LSTSRV-L, but there are other, better
options.  Since LISTSERV is not freeware, support is available from L-Soft
if you have purchased LISTSERV.  If you are still evaluating LISTSERV (and
have not yet purchased) there is even Pre-Sales Support (talk to
[log in to unmask] for a referral).  Finally, there are L-Soft's Training and
Consulting Services to help you get up-to-speed with your needs very
rapidly.  (again arrange these through your L-Soft Sales Rep).