Marty Hoag <NU021172@NDSUVM1>
Fri, 6 Jan 89 13:24:10 CST
   When people set up new lists of general interest I tell them they
should mention it on a finite set of lists which might have
subscribers interested in the new list's topic.  I also tell them they
should notify BITNIC (not sure where that should go) for possible
inclusion in LISTSERV GROUPS) and Richard Zellich who maintains
the Internet Interest Groups list of lists (but that hasn't been
updated for some months apparently).

   I would be willing to set up a new list called NEW-L or NEW-LIST or
something.  It would be used as an announcement list for new lists.
The notebooks would provide a record of new lists which could be
searched in addition to the lists databases, etc.  The list could be
subscribed to by people who like to know about new lists so they can
notify parties at their site (eg.  user services folks, newsletter
editors, keepers of lists of lists, etc.).

   I would propose that the list be an announcement type list with
replies defaulting to the sender and NOT a discussion list...  It
might be used to help avoid conflicts which seems to happen more and
more between global and local or general and specific lists on similar
subjects.  A person planning to set up a list might also want to put a
brief announcement on the list before creating it.

   Anyway, if there is any interest in this I would be glad to set it
up.  If there is already such a thing please let me know (Redist-L
used to do this but its focus was Internet redistribution lists).
If you have a name preference let me know that too...  ;-)

Marty Hoag
ND Higher Education Computer Network    US Mail: NDSU Computer Center
Phone: (701)-237-8639                            PO Box 5164 / UCCS
Bitnet:   NU021172@NDSUVM1    (NOTE 0 = ZERO)    Fargo, ND  58105
Internet: [log in to unmask]
UUCP:    ...!uunet!ndsuvax!vm1.nodak.edu!NU021172