Phil Howard <PHIL@UIUCVMD>
Thu, 04 Sep 86 18:43:02 CDT
> From:         Marc Shannon <MS5U@CMUCCVMA>
> Subject:      problems with Listserv (V1.3)
>
> First, how can I set up LISTSERV to have multiple MAILER's?  We have
> MAILER@CMUCCVMA, SMTPUSER@CMUCCVMA (which is sending rejection mail),
> SMTPSERV@CMUCCVMA (for the same reason), plus all the [log in to unmask]
> plus who knows how many all else.

Marc, what would a User Agent program do in your site?  How would MITMAIL,
or NOTE, or what-have-you, know where to send mail.  Usually, MAILER
(The Columbia/Croswell version) knows where to send the mail to get it
to the destination.  We have an SMTPUSER here (on a different CPU) to which
MAILER sends my mail, if I address it to a node reachable through that
gateway.  Basically, MAILER should be the ONE place to send all mail to
get them delivered.  MAILER is the outgoing mailbox server.