Mike Ramundo <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 28 Jul 1994 09:06:25 EDT
> difficult to signoff ....

1)  I thought the cleanup was only worthwhile if a simple bitnet
    nodename was betwix the % and the @

2)  If the user's mail consistantly arrives with the source-address
    format, cleaning up the subscription address will do more harm than
    good.  The cleanup would have to be done dynamically when LISTSERV
    takes the item out of its reader to avoid having a subscription
    address that does not match address the "from" address of a command.
    ( correct ? )

-mike

ps - what controls which 'from' address LISTSERV uses when it sends
     the confirmation instructions ( or is it hard-coded ) ( i e
     when I send MAIL to someone ( with LMAIL ), if it is going to a
     bitnet address, my address is in ".bitnet' form, otherwise my
     address appears in internet ".edu" form.  It appears here that all
     confirmation instructions are sent out with a ".edu" FROM: address
     even if the sub request came from a ".bitnet" address to a ".bitnet"
     address.  If they are running LMAIL and reply to the Confirm request,
     the reply is addressed to our INTERNET address with appropriate
     gateway additions - so a LARGE number of confirmations-via-reply
     fail because sub and confirm FROM addresses don't match.

     Is this a reasonable senerio or have I dropped a bit somewhere .... ?