Eric Thomas <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 11 Sep 1996 22:17:42 +0200
I have a number of files on my disk that the system says I am the "owner"
of. If  many cases,  this is  patently incorrect.  The hardware  on which
these files reside  is owned by my employer, and  so are the intellectual
property contents. Some of these files are world readable and anyone with
an  account on  this  machine can  see  that I  am  attempting to  assert
ownership rights that I do not have! I fear for my job and have attempted
to  change the  owner to  the  name of  my employer,  however the  system
refused to let me to do, claiming that my employer is not a known "user".
Well I already  know that and I  don't understand why the  use of illegal
substances should be required to own  something! NOW I understand what my
colleagues  mean when  they  say  "Well, this  comes  from Berkeley,  you
know..." in an evasive tone! I am going to have to demand that the system
be modified to  let me reflect the  fundamental legal fact that  I do not
own this files. I also find it insulting that the system claims that I am
a "known user" as  I have never taken drugs in my life  and I am planning
to sue  the software  vendor for libel.  As a matter  of fact  the system
seems to  extend this defamatory language  to my co-workers and  I should
probably look into the practical details of a class action suit. Millions
of people the world over must  have been collectively accused of unlawful
conduct and had their reputations ruined, now it's payback time!!!