Mario Rups <[log in to unmask]>
Sat, 14 Sep 1996 04:15:12 -0700
> Sound like great places not to work!  Are there any such in the '90s?
> Do they also control what magazines people are allowed to subscribe to?
>
> Cheers,
> Stan Ryckman ([log in to unmask])

If I am an employer with limited computer resources and I see worker
productivity go down in correlation with the amount of time spent on
non-professional or non-professional level e-mail lists that are
subscribed to using company computers and company resources and being
read wholly or largely on company time, I damn well *will* shut down
those subscriptions.  If the employees subscribe using their own
computers and their own ISPs and read the e-mail on their own time, I
have no more say about it than I would about the magazines to which they
subscribe with their own money etc. etc.

All in the way you look at it.

Most employers, I suspect, are reasonably tolerant.  Some are not.  Some
cannot afford to be.

Mario Rups