Fred H Olson <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 23 Dec 2001 11:31:43 -0600
> Stan Ryckman <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
> I think www.domain.com evolved with www just being a commonly-chosen
> subdomain name.  It's not at all required.  If fact, yahoo (to pick
> an example out of the air) uses mail.yahoo.com, biz.yahoo.com,
> and many others, all accessible via [12]http://...

I agree Stan; "www." is just a convention which I presume evolved in part
due to the archane abbreviation "http" (hypertext transport protocol).
Then the "www." part conveyed enough information (in the evolving context)
that people started dropping the archane "http://". I was trying to
suggest that if the hypertext transport protocol had been coded as
"www://" in the first place there would have been less need to evolve the
"www." and we would have had a simpler more consistant system.  It may
well be that "www" did not come into common use until after "http://" was
chosen and well established - I dont know.  Not much use pondering what
might have been except as a precausionary tail for picking names /
abbreviations in the future.

I also regret the qwerty keyboard, inches and feet and the multitude of
listserv email command formats but established standards or lack thereof
are difficult to change no matter how disfunctional.

To bring this back a little bit to Listserv ownership...  Various listserv
programs use various approaches ('standards') for accomplishing the task.
As an experienced list manager who has recently started to manage a
Listserv list, I am more and more inclined to wish I could limit my list
management to one listserv. (Note case - Listserv vs listserv - capital L
is L-soft's product, lower case is a category of software - isn't language
wonderful.) BTW I think the listserv software I'd like to specialize in is
Mailman (a few versions hence :).  Listserv seems overly complicated to
me.

Fred

--
Fred H. Olson  Minneapolis,MN 55411   (near north Mpls)
[log in to unmask] 612-588-9532 (7am-10pm Cent time)