Richard Childers <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 14 Oct 1992 16:53:05 PDT
"I am tired  of this discussion and very tired  of this particular poster."

Then don't contribute.

"The last statement  is wrong, and irrelevant. There  are techniques which
 are 100% detect-proof,  as the source IP address is  faked and IP routers
 do  not log  packets. There  are  also many  SMTP hosts  which don't  log
 anything, due to  administrative decision, lack of  disk space, whatever.
 So no matter how much Richard  Childers wishes he were right, the reality
 is that Internet mail  is not safe and that hackers  with a certain level
 of experience and access to the  right hardware can inject messages which
 cannot be  traced at all,  not even if someone  were to suggest  that the
 message just might  have been generated by Bill Clinton  and the FBI were
 ordered to make the most thorough investigation in their entire career."

I made it pretty clear that my statements were predicated on logging, Eric.
But I'm not clear that _anyone_ is an expert on the Internet, since it is,
by definition, a superset of everything we know of, as a community.

-- richard