Judith Hopkins <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 2 Dec 1994 17:03:25 EST
I just received a message from a subscriber who had been having trouble
resetting her AUTOCAT subscription to MAIL; she said she had received
several responses claiming she was not subscribed.

At her worksite the entire department shares one account with the name
of one of the other staff members being attached to the address in
the subscription list.  When individuals sign on to use the account
they presumably add their own personal name to the userid since the
message I received had a FROM line in the form:
  FROM:    Jane Doe <userid@bitnetsite>
of Mary Roe.

  Question:  What does LISTSERV look at to verify if a command sent
to it comes from a subscriber or not?  I had always assumed that it
looked only at the address, e.g.  userid@bitnetsite
Was I mistaken?  Does it also look at the name attached to the address
to verify that it too is identical to the one in the subscription list?
If not, can anyone venture a guess as to why her attempts to reset
the distribution option were not accepted?

Judith Hopkins, Listowner of [log in to unmask]
  Internet: [log in to unmask]
  Bitnet:   ulcjh@ubvm