James Chamier <[log in to unmask]>
Fri, 25 May 2012 18:25:44 +0100
I'd like to add two other ideas; one from the personal/domestic (hobby)
view, and the other more corporate.

I run two fairly busy but very small mailing lists from a LISTSERV Lite
Free Edition server on a virtual Linux.  This costs me less for the virtual
Linux instance per month than hosting one list at EASE-HOME sadly.  I did
ask sales for a quote for a real licence of LISTSERV Lite and it was so
high I couldn't use. You'd need to be a fairly large business to afford -
luckily for us we are only domestic / social use so the Free Edition works
well for us.

From the corporate angle - I work for a Fortune 500 and the big push is to
cut down on email that is pushed to you. Items delivered to an inbox have
to be urgent - most staff are mobile and a lot of email is read on mobile
devices (Android, iPhone, Blackberry).  We've moved to web based "pull"
collaboration - IBM's Connections product is like an internal Facebook with
a lot more capability.  Other companies are using MS Sharepoint type tools
or even free web forums.

I'm in the UK, but I gather the same has occured in the US - high(ish)
speed always on internet and wireless connectivity has meant that people
are quite happy to use web forums instead of writing emails - the same
information but in a different medium.

Now I'm a big fan of NNTP and Email - and I dislike a lot of web forums as
they're hard to navigate and full useless images ; low "signal to noise"
ratio in my experience. But the flashy graphics and web access seems to
sell.

James