Jan A Bergeron VMD <[log in to unmask]>
Sun, 17 Nov 2002 11:46:47 -0500
At 08:22 AM 11/17/2002 -0800, Peter Rauch wrote:
>Again, if I were one of your subscribers, I'd be very upset if
>you edited my submissions. Either ignore them, or return them to
>me with helpful comments that will allow me the opportunity to
>express my ideas in a manner acceptable to you.

Just to clarify the problem I am having, and what I want to control.

First, I do not want to edit subscribers' ideas, that is why the list has
been unmoderated for a number of years.  My problem is with individuals who
cannot seem to learn to quote effectively; they simply click on reply and
include everything from previous posts.  I have written to these people
over and over and asked them to trim their posts and learn effective
quoting, but nothing seems to work.  Some have been set to NOPOST because
they will not comply.  They moan and groan and whine and beg to post, and I
finally relent but soon they are back to their same old tricks.  I thought
that by screening their posts I would be able to let them post, but I would
also be able to strip out the extraneous verbiage before sending the post
on to the list.  The REVIEW setting only allows me to OK the post or reject it.

I have no problem with telling these people that their posts are being
screened, nor do I have a problem with sending the post on to the list
(after stripping out the excess verbiage) with an indication that it has
been modified.  I just want to be able to do it as effectively as
possible.  I suppose the simplest approach is to just stick with the REVIEW
setting and send their posts back to them until they get them right.  And
by the way, this list is a closed list for professionals.  Everyone on the
list has some sort of doctorate, but for the most part they don't have any
common sense and can't seem to learn how to use their e-mail clients :-)

Jan

Jan A Bergeron, VMD
[log in to unmask]     Phone: 732-671-7856
Owner CAVM List    Fax: 732-671-8432
http://CAVM.Net   Cell: 732-513-7072
3 Quail Drive * Middletown, NJ 07748