Dennis Budd <[log in to unmask]>
Thu, 7 Oct 1999 19:51:51 -0500
On Thu, 7 Oct 1999, Pat Wolf wrote:

>On 7 Oct 99, at 0:39, rex <[log in to unmask]> wrote:
>
>> Being able to set individual posters to REVIEW is a great feature.
>> A serious limitation of REVIEW is that the message cannot be
>> altered without appearing to come from the editor.
>

>You can edit a post and send it back to the list with an additional
>header "Resent-From: [log in to unmask]". It will then appear
>to come from the original sender.

However this behavior *only* happens when the list is configured
"Send= Editor".  If the list is configured "Send= Private" (or any
setting other than "Editor"), the post will appear to come from the
*editor*, not the original sender, regardless of any "Resent-From:"
headers that may be inserted.

I am quite aware of this because I have two lists, one configured
"Send= Editor", and one configured "Send= Private", and I can see the
differing behavior on the two lists.  The "Send= Editor" list is
actually a self-moderated list, with the "Editor=" parameter coded as
"[log in to unmask], (listname)" so that any subscriber can post
without moderation but all posts from non-subscribers are sent to the
editor for approval.  All posts from subscribers set to REVIEW are
also sent to the editor for approval.  I have edited posts and
"bounced" them to the list with "Resent-" headers and had them post as
being "From" the original sender.  (This method of configuring a list
will, BTW, disable individual posting limits for all subscribers...not
a problem for me.)

My other list is configured "Send= Private" because there is no reason
to accept non-subscriber posts at all (as well as no reason to
moderate it).  Posts from subscribers set to REVIEW come to me for
approval.  However, if I edit them and then "bounce" them with
"Resent-" headers, Listserv will distribute them as having come from
me.  The only way I know of around this is to "spoof" the From:
address, which doesn't leave the explicit record of what you did in
the mail headers, and which I don't like to do anyway.

It gets worse.  I discovered that if the list is not configured "Send=
Editor", the contents of the "Editor=" line are *ignored*.  I am
subbed to the list as "[log in to unmask]", which is actually an
alias.  When Pine "bounces" the post, he adds a "Resent-From:" of
"[log in to unmask]", my "real" account.  I am not subbed
under that address, but I had added it in the "Editor=" line, and
Listserv REJECTED the post. (In the case of the first list described,
in the exact same situation, Listserv *accepted* the post.  It appears
that in this case Listserv is considering the primary listowner to be
the "gatekeeper" no matter WHAT is in the "Editor=" parameter.  I
didn't think to create another mail configuration that would override
the address that Pine was "bouncing" me as, so I was at a dead end.
I approved the post as it was, and quickly followed with another post
of my own adding the clarifications that I had wanted to stick (with
my initials) in the original post.

I just referred to my archive folder containing some of the messages
in question, and it looks like I didn't test whether message approval
itself would have worked using my "real" address, but I'll bet
Listserv would have rejected the approval.

It appears that Listserv was designed under the assumption that
editing posts is relevant only to moderated lists, which is not
necessarily true any longer now that we have the REVIEW option.  In
this case I was not using REVIEW to control an unruly subscriber; I
was using it to process "announcements" being sent from a specific
account to a number of lists including my own.

A question to L-Soft...has L-Soft essentially decided that editing of
posts is *never* relevant to lists that aren't set up as moderated?
As well as deciding that in this case the primary listowner will
always be the moderator in the case of those set to REVIEW?  Or are
there technical reasons that things continue to be set up this way?

Dennis

>You need to use an e-mail program that allows you to generate that
>header. I do it with Pegasus Mail. If you need more information,
>please contact me.

Pine can do this, Pegasus Mail can do this, there have been posts here
in the past showing how Eudora can do this.

Unfortunately, neither Pine nor Pegasus Mail allows you to directly
edit a post that you forward in this manner.  You have to be
technically savvy enough to be able to do the editing outside of the
E-mail program in a manner that will enable the mail program to pick
up the altered message when you're done.

Dennis