Jan A Bergeron VMD <[log in to unmask]>
Mon, 18 Nov 2002 11:03:53 -0500
At 03:04 AM 11/18/2002 -0500, Wayne Smith wrote:
>...sometimes I want to control my lists and teach my supposedly computer
>illiterate posters the "right" way,...Now with faster links, what's the
>gain in worrying about including some junk at the end of a post?

I can see your point, and I have to admit that I often feel like ignoring
it all, but I think there is a bigger issue than faster connections and
better e-mail clients, and that issue is bandwidth.

I've analyzed my Digests, and on average 60% of every Digest is superfluous
garbage.  So that means that 60% of everything that goes out on my list is
quoted material that is unnecessary. That's a significant portion of the
bandwidth used.  I do not have the luxury of operating my list through a
university like many people do, so I pay for the hosting.  And my hosting
company charges based on usage...number of members, number of messages,
etc, which all boils down to bandwidth.

So as much as I would love to chill out and ignore the problem, I can't.

Jan