Francoise Becker <[log in to unmask]>
Wed, 6 Sep 2000 12:25:22 -0400
On 4 Sep 00, at 17:04, Winship <[log in to unmask]> wrote:

> I think what we may have here is a conflict between the "real" list,
> which is influenced only by email commands, and the "web interface"
> list, call it the "ghost" list.  Ed Agro has indicated he works via the
> interface, and so do his subscribers.  There is plenty of evidence that
> the "real" and the "ghost" do not always talk to each other; the right and
> left do not always know what the other is doing/has done.

That's not true. The web interface sends commands to LISTSERV to get
it's work done. The fact that it does it by talking directly to
LISTSERV over TCP/IP rather than by sending emails does not make any
difference. LISTSERV receives the same commands and processes them
exactly the same. It has separate code for *receiving* the commands
via TCP/IP vs. SMTP, but it's the exact same code that processes them.

My guess about the addresses that had "[concealed]" tacked on to
their name but where the addresses were not actually concealed is
that someone did a REVIEW ALL and used the results to repopulate the
list in a bulk add.

Francoise